Syros Island Greece
Director: Mr. Panagiotis Pagonidis
2st INTERNATIONAL FOLK FESTIVAL SYROS - CAPITAL OF CYCLADES GROUP OF ISLANDS
Syros is a Greek Island in the Aegean Sea with an area of 84 sq km. It is located south-east of mainland Greece in the middle of the Cyclades group of islands and is the Capital of the region. Syros Island has an unusual character in contrast to the other islands thanks to its magnificent neoclassical architecture. Syros owes its peculiarity to the 19th century which is due to a long period as one of the most important ports in the Eastern Mediterranean, resulting in Syros acquiring a magnificent air and a rigorous tradition of Industry, the Arts and Culture. Nowadays, Syros is the capital of the Cyclades Islands and still remains a place of Culture while at the same time has emerged as a remarkable travel destination very easily approached by air and coastal.
Is the island where Greek tradition and western influence come to a harmonious marriage. Ermoúpoli (meaning “the city of Hermes”) is the island’s capital town and has been the first important trade and industrial centre of the country in the 19th century. Evidence of this glorious past can be seen on public buildings (the City Hall, the Customs Office, “Apollo” theatre), on the neoclassical houses and at the beautiful squares. Due to its economic activity, Ermoúpoli has been called “Manchester of Greece” and the history of its years of blossom is exhibited in the Industrial Museum. The great number of beautiful beaches will delight the sea and sand lovers: Vári, Foínikas, Yalissás and Kíni, as well as Possidonia or Dellagrazia, the beach of a village with many neoclassical mansions with colourful orchards. You can visit www.siros.gr & www.syrosisland.gr
Participants in the festival:
Type of groups that can participate: Traditional folk dance groups-Folk song groups -Choirs.
Conditions for participation:
- Number and age of participants is not limited. Number of participating groups is limited.
- Each group should bring a flag of their country and if available, a board with the name of their group.
- The group should prepare from 10 to12 minutes program accompanied by their own orchestra or CD.
- 169 Euro per person in Hotel Dimare *** (https://dimaresyros.com/about/?lang=el)
Participation fee includes:
- 5 days (4 nights) (half board - breakfast and dinner - in three & four bed rooms) by the seaside.
- Free transport from the port or the airport to your hotel.
- Free transport from your hotel to the performance place.
- Free tours – excursions with guide to Ermoupoli city and round the Island.
- Traditional party
- Every 25 participants, one is free.
Participation fee does not include:
- For prolonged stay, each day costs 44€ per person, halfboard.
- Accommodation in double rooms, in case of availability, will cost an extra seven (7) Euros a day per person, ΗΒ.
- Ferry tickets from port of Piraeus, which can be arranged from us with cost 40 euro per person round trip. Bus ticket is free charge if the group is over 30 people.
- First aid and emergency support will be provided, but medical services must be covered by the group. The participant’s safety is on his/her personal responsibility.
Program of the festival:
4/9/2018: Breakfast - Departure of the groups.
Any group willing to participate must submit an Application form.
Approved groups pay in advance a 10% guarantee fee, which is to be deducted at the final payment.
As a next step, 50% of the total amount should be paid before April 30th 2018. Upon receiving your payment, an invitation letter will be sent to you. The rest of the total amount for the group must be received on the day of your arrival. In case of cancellation no refund is given.