Struga North Macedonia
Director: Mr. Aleksandar Petreski
Struga is located in the south-west part of the Republic of Macedonia near Ohrid, on the coast of Ohrid Lake. It spreads on the banks of the river Black Drim which flows through the lake and continues its flow through Struga and further. It is another contribution for the picturesque sights and beautiful scenic beauty of the town. The climate is continental with some Mediterranean influences. The winters are not so cold and it is hot during the summer period, with a pleasant fresh breeze from the lake and the river. It is ideally suited for relaxation and it is the perfect place for vacation. Towering from the side is mountain Jablanica. Many writers and travel guides have noted that Struga is a lively city, with developed trade and big markets. Its architecture is defined by the beautiful elaborately decorated houses of the wealthy citizens. There is a saying that goes like this: "There’s no place like Struga." Struga is also a place of important cultural significance in the Republic of Macedonia, as it is the birthplace of the poets Konstantin and Dimitar Miladinov. The main event of the cultural life in Struga is the world’s largest poetry gathering, Struga Poetry Evenings, whose laureates have included several Nobel Prize for Literature winners such as Joseph Brodsky, Eugenio Montale, Pablo Neruda, Seamus Heaney, Fazıl Hüsnü Dağlarca and many others since 1966. There are several cultural monuments in Struga and in its vicinity, such as the Monastery of Kališta, a few kilometers away from the town center, on the shore of Lake Ohrid. It is believed that it dates from the 16th century, with frescoes from the 14th and the 15th centuries. Another rock church is present in the neighboring village of Radožda with frescoes from the 13th and 14th centuries. The Church of St. Bogorodica (St Mary) in Vraništa, is believed to be where Tsar Samuel was crowned. The church of St. George is also located in the town; built on top of Samuel’s church, it has many icons from the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries. Near the village of Radolishta, a basilica from the 4th century was discovered with a mosaic. Struga’s old architecture dates from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Purpose of the festival:The main goal of this festival is to offer its participants the possibility to present the culture and the tradition of their country and to provide an opportunity for the members of groups to meet different nationalities, establish friendships and express their cultural diversity through dance and music.
General terms and conditions:
- Groups from all over the world can take part in this festival.
- Folk dance groups, modern dance groups, choirs, but also majorette teams and brass bands and orchestras are welcome to apply.
- The number of participants and followers is not limited.
- There is no age limit (beside youth and children participants, older or veterans also may participate).
- It is necessary to prepare minimum one program with the duration of 12 – 15 minutes per program.
- Each group should bring the national flag of the country that they represent.
- It is also necessary to visibly display panel on which the name of your group and the name of your country is inscribed.
- It is recommended that groups should bring about 12 – 15 small gifts for exchange.
- Participants can perform with orchestras (recommended) or with recorded music (on CD or USB).
- In order to participate in this festival, every group needs to fill in an application form. When applying, if possible, please provide some photos, videos or brief history of the group. These materials will be used for promotional and advertising purposes (in advertisements, fliers and posters).
- After receiving the application form and completion of advance payment, the organizer will send an official letter of invitation for participation at the Festival.
- The rest of the payment should be completed immediately after the group arrives in order to take part at the festival.
Festival organizers provide:
- Accommodation in hotels and apartments
- Tourist guides for sightseeing of the town (on request only)
- Advertising of the festival (press conference, radio, TV channels, posters and flyers)
- Professional sound and light equipment
- Certificates for participation in the festival
- Drinks during the performance
- Souvenir and gift for each group
- DVD and photos of the festival
73 euro per person for 3 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
97 euro per person for 4 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
119 euro per person for 5 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
87 euro per person for 3 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
116 euro per person for 4 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
139 euro per person for 5 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
87 euro per person for 3 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
109 euro per person for 4 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
123 euro per person for 5 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
99 euro per person for 3 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
123 euro per person for 4 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
147 euro per person for 5 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
119 euro per person for 3 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
149 euro per person for 4 nights half board accommodation (breakfast and dinner)
158 euro per person for 3 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
179 euro per person for 4 nights full board accommodation (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
-Free activities (swimming…)
-Dinner in the hotel
-Struga sightseeing – visiting cultural and historical monuments ,river Black Drim, monastery in Kalista, Vevchani – Vevchanski water sources (1 euro)
-Dinner in the hotel
-Visiting: Ohrid Ethno museum (1 euro), St. Sofia church, Plaosnik (2 euros), Antique theatre, Samoil fortress (1 euro)
-Official performance of the participants (performance of the participants, certificate for the participants by the organizers, and at the very end of the festival participants can exchange gifts and contacts with each other)
-Dinner in the hotel
*The organizer reserves the right to make changes in the program of the festival.
Any group, willing to participate, must submit an Application form.
Approved groups pay in advance a 10% guarantee fee, which is to be deducted at the final payment.