The ICH NGO Forum is the platform for communication, networking, exchange and cooperation for NGOs accredited by UNESCO to provide advisory services to the Intergovernmental Committee in the framework of the 2003 UNESCO Convention for the safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage.
NGOs are a pillar for the safeguarding of the World’s living traditions, together with the holders of these traditions and the States. The Forum also welcomes NGOs that are active in the field of ICH and are in the process of accreditation.
The ICH NGO Forum organizes meetings and symposia on shared international challenges in the safeguarding policies and practices of ICH, and is particularly committed to follow the implementation and the evolution of the 2003 Convention. Periodic meetings take place simultaneously with the sessions of the Convention’s General Assembly (every two years in June) and of the Intergovernmental Committee (annually in December).
Composition of the Steering Committee:
Steering Committee 2020 – 2021
- Western Europe and North America: Mr. Laurier Turgeon– L’Association canadienne d’ethnologie et de folklore (Canada) – Secretary
- Eastern Europe: Mr. Kaloyan Nikolov – European Association of Folklore Festivals (Bulgaria)
- Latin America and the Caribbean: Mr. Jorge Gustavo Caicedo – La Enciclopedia del Patrimonio Cultural Inmaterial (Mexico) – President
- Asia and the Pacific: Ms. Janet Blake – Persian Garden Institute for Living Heritage – (Islamic Republic of Iran)
- Africa: Mr. Butholezwe Kgosi Nyathi – Amagugu International Heritage Centre, (Zimbabwe)
- Arab States: Ms. Reme Sakr – Syria Trust for Development (Syria) – Vice-president
- International NGO: Mr. Robert Baron – International Society for Ethnology and Folklore – Treasurer
Steering Committee 2019 – 2020
- Western Europe and North America: Mrs Meg NÖMGÅRD – Berättarnätet Kronoberg/ The Storytelling Network of Kronoberg (Sweden) – President
- Eastern Europe: Mr. Kaloyan Nikolov – EAFF, European Association of Folklore Festivals (Bulgaria)
- Latin America and the Caribbean: Mr. Jorge Gustavo Caicedo – La Enciclopedia del Patrimonio Cultural Inmaterial (The Intangible Cultural Heritage Encyclopedia), Mexico
- Asia and the Pacific: Mr. Dong Hwan Choi – CICS, Center for Intangible Cultural Studies (Republic of Korea) – Treasurer
- Africa: Mr. Butholezwe Kgosi NYATHI – Amagugu International Heritage Centre, (Zimbabwe)
- Arab States: Ms. Reme Sakr - Syria Trust for Development (Syria)
- International: Mrs Naila CERIBAŠIC – ICTM, International Council for Traditional Music - Secretary